2011 Rose Bowl - 1st Quarter
Rose Bowl SOC Notes - Pregame
Rose Bowl SOC Notes - 2nd Quarter
Rose Bowl SOC Notes - 3rd Quarter
Rose Bowl SOC Notes - 4th Quarter
Wisconsin on its own 31
- The Badgers need Scott Tolzien to start out
throwing well. As soon as the defense loosens up a
bit, the running game will work.
- Or you can just do that. Montee Ball gets the
start, and the right side of the Badger line erases
the TCU defensive front for a 40-yard dash.
- If the right side of the Wisconsin line is working
- the left side with Gabe Carimi is better - this
will be a long, long, long day for the Horned Frogs.
- Play Two, and TCU's defensive front is getting
completely and totally destroyed. The TCU DBs are
- This is Wisconsin saying, "Screw you. We're going
to run the ball. Stop it."
- That 40-yard Ball dash was the biggest run TCU has
allowed all year.
- Third and short, and another run. With nine men up
for TCU, TE Lance Kendricks is going to be wide open
whenever the Badgers ant to spring him.
- TCU is already taking chances, shooting FS Tejay
Johnson into the backfield. If he doesn't make the
stop, Ball walks into the end zone.
- James White barrels down to the 13. 3rd and 8 ...
- Tozien throws a dart, but Nick Toon wasn't ready
for the ball and the great drive stalls.
- Philip Welch nails the field goal. Credit Tejay
Johnson with four points.
Wisconsin 3 ... TCU 0
- Wisconsin's coverage team sucks. While
the Badgers are trying to man up to start the game,
putting the ball in Jeremy Kerley's hands would be
- They get it to him and he was one step away from
TCU on its own 22
- TCU needs to return the favor. Start
slugging the Badgers in the mouth with the strong
- Instead, Andy Dalton throws a quick pass to Jimmy
Young for nine yards. I'm not a believer in the
Badger corners in any way. They could get torched if
Dalton gets time.
- Dalton runs for 11 yards as the TCU offensive line
doesn't some pushing of its own.
- UW's Devin Smith gets nailed for pass
interference. The defense is 0-for-3 on doing
anything to slow down the TCU offense ...
- And then Louis Nzegwu stays at home and blasts
Dalton on a run.
- J.J. Watt 1, Marcus Cannon 0. Watt bats down a
Dalton pass when he gets free.
- And then Cannon scores one by pushing Watt around,
Dalton gets time, and a 3rd-and-10 is converted to
- This isn't the Dalton of the 2010 Fiesta Bowl. He
seems far more calm and far more decisive.
- The TCU offensive line is doing a great job so
far. Dalton isn't getting breathed on.
- Watt forces a false start.
- Dalton gets time to throw again, and Dalton throws
another strike to Young. This has shades of the
Michigan State game for the Badgers with the way the
efficient passer is converting on third down
- Meanwhile, the Badger offense is on the sidelines
with six minutes left in the quarter.
- Helped by a hold that wasn't called as Nzegwu was
tackled, Dalton gets time and connects with Bart
Johnson for a score. That was a brilliant, brilliant
drive by Dalton.
TCU 7, Wisconsin 3
- Kerley is the star returner, but
Wisconsin's David Gilreath is dangerous, too.
Wisconsin on is own 32
- The Badgers have to be patient. The
running game has to keep pounding away to keep the
body blows coming.
- It's all about the pass rush for these two
quarterbacks. Tolzien drops back, bounces, pats the
ball, and fires to Kendrick for a first down.
- As Kirk Herbstreit keeps pointing out, TCU is
slipping all over the place.
- John Clay checks in, TCU focuses on crowding the
line, and Tolzien makes him pay with a great throw
- Twice. The play action freezes the TCU linebackers
and Bradie Ewing is wide open for a big play down to
- The nation's No. 1 defense doesn't have an answer.
- John Clay, touchdown. A bowling ball through
- How awesome is this first quarter? These are two
true heavyweight powerhouse teams.
Wisconsin 10 ... TCU 7
Wisconsin is going to figure this out. YOU DON'T LET
KERLEY HAVE THE BALL. He gets it and tears it to
TCU on its own 41
- Wisconsin has to start getting more
creative on its pass rush. The UW corners don't have
it, and Niles Brinkley just showed why getting
beaten on a double move for a big pass play down to
- I know Dalton is a runner, but TCU needs to get Ed
Wesley and the backs involved. The Horned Frogs
can't afford to lose their star.
- Traditionally, Wisconsin has never done well
against good spread attacks and smart quarterbacks.
The Badgers aren't even close.
- The Badgers haven't even come close to coming up
with a stop ...
- Dalton runs for a score. He is playing at a
special level right now and Wisconsin needs to try
something different. Watt is getting fooled.
TCU 14 ... Wisconsin 10
Wisconsin on its own 23
- And right back at it. The Badgers
run Ball to the left side and he cranks out five
- You can't ask for a better, more fun start.
FIRST QUARTER: TCU 14 ... Wisconsin 10