2011 Rose Bowl - 3rd Quarter
Rose Bowl SOC Notes - Pregame
Rose Bowl SOC Notes - 1st Quarter
Rose Bowl SOC Notes - 2nd Quarter
Rose Bowl SOC Notes - 4th Quarter
- The Badger had the ball for over 21 minutes in the
- The Badgers blew it by going into the locker room
with time outs in their pocket.
- Andy Dalton accounted for 140 of 141 of TCU's
- And enough of that. Wisconsin doesn't go deep to
Jeremy Kerley and goes short.
TCU on its own 30
- TCU, it's time to introduce Ed
Wesley to the game.
- Exactly what TCU didn't want, starting with a
false start and a short pass to Kerley that didn't
- NOOOO!!! No. No. No. No. No. The flag was thrown
on Devin Smith on pass interference but Kerley fell
down. The ball was uncatchable, but the Badgers got
hosed by a poor call without the ball sailing into
the third row.
- That's the biggest break of the game so far, and
TCU has to take advantage.
- Why is TCU getting away from what worked in the
- Dalton hooks up with Wesley, Niles Brinkley makes
a miserable attempt at a tackle, and it goes for
- Dalton isn't missing. He's making every throw and
he's making every right read on the option. It's
this simple: He's beating the Badgers.
- TCU gets physical and Luke Shivers barrels in for
a score. Six plays for 71 yards, but it was all
sparked by the poor penalty. The Badgers lost their
mojo after that.
- The all-timer of a bad day for the Big Ten could
get a whole bunch worse if Wisconsin's defense
doesn't come up with something else in the bag.
- J.J. Watt, the second half has started.
TCU 21 ... Wisconsin 13
- By the way, Wheel of Fortune is about to
come on my local ABC station.
- Disastrous. David Gilreath can't control the ball
and he gets dropped deep in Badger territory on the
kickoff. Making matters worse, there's an illegal
block in the back starting the drive inside the
- No pressure, offense. Score, or else you're going
to be down two scores the next time Dalton gets the
ball in his hands.
- One thing has been made very, very, very clear. No
way, no how would Wisconsin have had any chance
against Cam Newton or Oregon's spread attack.
Wisconsin on its own 4
- If there's any team in America you'd
want starting a drive like this, it's Wisconsin.
- Montee Ball hammers for five and a first down.
It's interesting that John Clay isn't getting the
nod in a key spot like this.
- It almost seems like Wisconsin is setting things
up for one big pass play. TCU is sending EVERYONE
into the backfield and soon Tolzien has to go over
- Tolzien is a stone cold killer. He's a fearless
passer as he and Nick Toon are hot. Toon was locked
on over the last two plays by TCU, and Tolzien
threaded the needle, including a brilliant, ballsy
throw for an 18-yard play against TCU's best corner,
- Someone's way, way overdue for a turnover.
- Now James White comes in. Clay has four carries
for 12 yards. Is he being saved for the fourth
quarter when the O needs to drop a hammer?
- And there's the deep ball and it just misses.
PHENOMENAL play by TCU's Greg McCoy to break it up
- Again, Wisconsin is bleeding the clock. This is
the only thing stopping the TCU offense, but the
rested UW defense has to take advantage.
- The TCU D has to hold up after ...
- OOOOOOOFFFFF!!! Tank Carder destroys Tolzien who
never saw him coming. TCU needed a third down stop,
and it got it. Now it's time to drop the hammer.
- Wisconsin defense, the Rose Bowl probably comes
down to this drive.
TCU on its own 18
- Wisconsin sniffed out the first down
play, had it dead, and Ed Wesley made something
happen on his own for a nine-yard play.
- The Badgers HAVE to make plays when their in the
- Dalton is human. That might be the first misread
he has made all game log, but it's still 3rd and 1.
- Wow. Jay Valai lit up Wesley, but it was still a
first down. The Badger D is playing a bit saltier,
but TCU is still moving the ball.
- 1st and 15, and Dalton is bleeding the Badgers to
death. If he played like this against Boise State,
TCU would be on a 27-game winning streak.
- Again, someone is way overdue for a turnover.
Dalton is too sharp, but the game has been overdue
for someone to screw up.
- Finally, Wisconsin comes up with a stop with
Dalton having nowhere to go on a third down play.
Watt gets held and Wisconsin forces a punt.
- The little things. The TCU special teams pin the
Badgers deep with a brilliant job done by the
Wisconsin on its own 2
- Wisconsin gets cute going to a pass
play without Lance Kendricks, who's in the locker
room getting an IV. Nice idea, but it didn't work.
- Considering Montee Ball used to have fumbling
problems, it's impressive that he's getting such
critical carries deep in its own end zone.
- Now the first down call is a big mistake as the
Badgers come up a yard short. Now Kerley is going to
get a shot.
- Tremendous punt by Brad Nortman to get the team
out of a jam
TCU on its own 36
- TCU is mixing it up so nicely.
Wisconsin is guessing, and it's guessing wrong.
- Neither team took over in the third quarter, but
TCU appears ready to deliver a knockout punch on
THIRD QUARTER SCORE: TCU 21 ... Wisconsin 13