Spring 2011 - Key
What's happening this spring season? Several Scout
publishers provide their insider info on the key
questions that matter to the real world of college
football. Scroll down for the links to all the
Q: How different will Cincinnati spring ball be under Butch Jones this year as opposed to last season? What’s missing compared to the Brian Kelly era?
From Dave Berk, BearcatInsider.com … Year Two of the Butch Jones era should start smoother as players and coaches now have a feeling for each other.
Coming of a poor performance in 2010, look for the coaching staff to push fundamentals early while getting players back into a groove leading up to this year’s spring game.
While Jones will see a high amount of players return on defense, he’ll need to find some key replacements on offense as the loss of standout wide receiver Armon Binns, starting center Jason Kelce, and tight end Ben Guidugli are key losses.
A must for the Bearcats is the restructuring of the offensive line, a weakness last season. Look for major improvements from Sean Hooey and Evan Davis if the Bearcats are to break this spring on a positive note.
Quarterback Zach Collaros enters his final spring set to return as the starter, however, a long-term successor will need to be found this spring or the Bearcats coaching staff will have to wait for freshmen enrollees Stevie Weatherford or Patrick Coyne to hit campus and make their mark.
Defense should be loaded this spring as they get a second season in the same scheme for the first time in the past four years. J.K. Schaffer and Derek Wolfe are the cornerstones on defense and improvement must be found in the defensive backfield for things to shore up to a championship level.
The return of defensive back Dominique Battle from injury should help give the Bearcats some stability they missed most of last season.
- Can Oklahoma State Still Rock Without Holgorsen?
- Will Navy Throw Even Less Without Ricky Dobbs?
- How Is Maryland Different Under Randy Edsall?
- How Is Cincinnati Different In Butch Jones, Year 2?
- Will Idaho Finally Have A Defense?
- Are The Tennessee Lines Going To Be Better?
- And The Notre Dame QB Will Be … ?
- Is Fresno State Going To Keep Running?
- Will Louisiana Tech Be The New Texas Tech?
- Have The Ugly Bowl Losses Affected Arizona?
- Is Michigan’s Brady Hoke Starting From Scratch?
- Is QB Jordan Wynn Ready To Run The Utah Attack?
Illinois QB Nathan Scheelhaase Throw More?
Boise State's Move To The Mountain West Matter?
Have Things Changed At Colorado Under Jon Embree?
California's Next Superstar?
Florida State's E.J. Manuel Ready?