Spring 2012 - Key
What's happening this spring season? Several FSN publishers provide
their insider info on the key questions that matter to the real world of
college football. Scroll down for the links to all the spring questions.
Q: Is QB Jordan Wynn going to be ready to roll, and will he be the difference for the offense that was so lousy last year?
From Brian Swinney, www.utah.scout.com … The Utes had multiple deficiencies last season on offense including an offensive line that struggled at times, but the most glaring one was the play of the quarterbacks after Jordan Wynn went down. Through spring he’s looked better than he ever has before, having put on a significant amount of weight and throwing the ball with as much confidence as success as ever. It helps to have a boatload of talented receivers as his disposal, but Wynn is primed to have an all-conference year and could end up being the third best QB in the conference behind Barkley and Price. He’ll need the time to through though and with the Utes replacing two all-conference offensive tackles, the offensive line could struggle at times like they did last year, which will hurt Wynn’s production, and possibly open him up to another year of beatings that could lead to another injury.
Is the coaching staff making anything out of all the close losses last year and how to win those?
The Utes really only had two close losses, with both of them due largely in part of special teams gaffes. Make a few kicks, and they could have beaten both USC and Colorado, finished the regular season with nine wins, and had a shot at the Rose Bowl in the Pac 12 title game against Oregon. Coleman Peterson is a solid kicker, and he’ll get better with more experience, but the fact that they won eight games total in their first season in the Pac 12, and hung with a USC team, on the road, that will likely open this year at No. 1, and the coaches have to like where the program sits.
What’s the biggest insider storyline from this spring that the average fan should know about?
If you’re an average fan and don’t know about defensive tackle Star Lotulelei, you need to start paying attention. He’ll be a first team all-conference player; he’ll be the likely favorite for the Pac 12 Defensive Player of the Year; and he’ll be a multiple preseason All-America teams. He’s the best Utah defensive player since defensive back Eric Weddle.
People also should be paying attention to the job that new offensive coordinator, and former Utah quarterback, Brian Johnson, is doing. The offense struggled last season with Norm Chow at the helm and didn’t produce the results that many fans expected out of one of the greatest offensive coordinators in recent college football history. Now the offense is humming in spring ball with Johnson going back to a more diverse attack and adding his own wrinkles along the way. The initial results with Johnson running things have been overwhelmingly positive and the Utah offense will make a dramatic improvement on their 20.9 points per game average in conference play from 2011.
- Is Florida's offense going to be any better?
- Will Utah's O roll with Jordan Wynn back?
- Is Washington State ready to roll under Mike Leach?
- Will Texas Tech be looking for a new coach?
- Is Texas A&M's O going to go Houston?
- Coaching aside, what's missing at Arkansas?
- Does North Carolina have any talent left?
- Is Oregon a true national title contender?
- Is the Marshall O going to be better?
- Really, who is Notre Dame's best QB option?
- What does Michigan have to do to beat Bama?
- How have things changed at Arizona State?
- Is BYU motivated as an independent?
- Does the Oklahoma D have a new attitude?
- Is Southern Miss starting from scratch?
- Is anything improving at Duke?
- Is Cal's Jeff Tedford on any real hot seat?
- Does Wisconsin have a receiving corps?
- Is SMU RB Zach Line back and healthy?
- What's Changing At ASU Under Gus Malzahn?
- Is The Nevin Shapiro Case Affecting Miami?
- How Is UCLA Different So Far Under Jim Mora?
- Will Florida State Finally Turn The Corner?
- Will Rutgers Be Better Without Greg Schiano?
- Will The Alabama Defense Be As Good As 2011?
- Can Boise State Go On Without Kellen Moore?
- Who Are Northwestern's New Offensive Weapons?
- Is Clemson Over The Orange Bowl Disaster?
- Who's The Next Great Illinois D Lineman?
- What's Changing At ASU Under Gus Malzahn?