ACC Midseason Awards
The college football season is at the halfway mark, and CFN's lead ACC writer Terry Johnson looks back to hand out some midseason awards, reflect on the best moments so far, and provide a glimpse of what's to come in the second half of the season.
By Terry Johnson
Follow me @TPJCollFootball
Offensive Player of the Midseason
Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
Defensive Player of the Midseason
Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State
Ten Best ACC Players at the Midseason
1. QB Tajh Boyd, Jr, Clemson
2. QB Stephen Morris, Jr, Miami
3. DE Tank Carradine, Sr, Florida State
4. WR DeAndre Hopkins, Jr, Clemson
5. CB Ross Cockrell, Jr, Duke
6. RB Chris Thompson, Sr, Florida State
7. RB Andre Ellington, Sr, Clemson
8. S Sean Sylvia, So, Boston College
9. RB/KR Duke Johnson, Fr, Miami
10. LB Nick Clancy, Sr, Boston College
2012 CFN Midseason All-ACC Offense
QB - Tajh Boyd, Jr, Clemson
RB - Chris Thompson, Sr, Florida State
RB - Andre Ellington, Sr, Clemson
WR - DeAndre Hopkins, Jr, Clemson
WR - Alex Amidon, Jr. Boston College
TE - Eric Ebron, So, North Carolina
OL - Dalton Freeman, Sr, Clemson
OL - Omoregie Uzzi, Sr, Georgia Tech
OL - Oday Aboushi, Sr, Virginia
OL - Camden Wentz, Sr, NC State
OL - James Hurst, Jr, North Carolina
PK - Chandler Catanzaro, Jr, Clemson
KR - Duke Johnson, Fr, Miami
2012 CFN Midseason All-ACC Defense
DL - Tank Carradine, Sr, Florida State
DL - Bjeorn Werner, Jr, Florida State
DL - Kenny Anunike, Sr, Duke
DL - Joe Vellano, Sr, Maryland
LB - Rickey Dowdy, Jr, North Carolina St.
LB - Nick Clancy, Sr, Boston College
LB - Demetrius Hartsfield, Sr, Maryland
DB - Ross Cockrell, Jr, Duke
DB - Jeremiah Johnson, So, Maryland
DB - Sean Sylvia, So, Boston College
DB - Kyle Fuller, Jr, Virginia Tech
P - Will Monday, Fr, Duke
PR - Kyshoen Jarrett, So, Virginia Tech
Three Biggest Surprises
1. Duke. Don't look now, but the Blue Devils are 5-1, and have an excellent chance to qualify for their first bowl bid since the 1994 season.
2. NC State's fourth quarter rally against Florida State. Just when it looked like the Seminoles were going to walk out of Carter-Finley Stadium with a win, the Wolfpack took control of the game in the second half. That's not an easy thing to do against the most talented team in the conference.
3. Stephen Morris' electric afternoon against NC State. Morris had the greatest passing performance in ACC history by throwing for a conference-record 566 yards and 5 TDs against NC State.
Three Biggest Disappointments
1. The conference. It's terrible. Thanks to some embarrassing non-conference losses, the ACC is completely out of the national championship race at midseason. Yikes.
2. Virginia Tech. After posting double-digit wins in every season since it joined the conference, the Hokies have limped to a 3-3 record this year. That's quite a fall for the overwhelming preseason favorite.
3. Georgia Tech's defense. Let's be honest, no one expected the Yellow Jackets to lead the league in total defense this year. However, it was also inconceivable that they would have given up 49 points against Middle Tennessee State, and that Al Groh would be out of a job at the halfway point of the season.
The ACC Champion Will Be ... Florida State over Miami
Three Best Games of the First Half
1. Sept 22 - at Florida State 49 ... Clemson 37
2. Sept 3 - at Virginia Tech 20 ... Georgia Tech 17 (OT)
3. Sept 8 - at Virginia 17 ... Penn State 16
Worst Game of the First Half
Sept. 29 - Middle Tennessee State 49, Georgia Tech 28
Coach of the Midseason
David Cutcliffe, Duke
Three Best Performances So Far
1. Miami QB Stephen Morris completed 29-of-46 passes for an ACC-record 566 yards and 5 TDs against NC State.
2. FSU QB EJ Manuel completed 27-of-35 passes for 380 yards, ran for an additional 102 yards, and accounted for 2 TDs against Clemson.
3. UNC RB Giovani Bernard ran 23 times for 262 yards and a TD against Virginia Tech. The 262-yard total was the most by any running back against a Frank Beamer-coached team.
RB Duke Johnson, Miami
3 Big Calls For The Second Half
1. Since it doesn't have to play against Florida State and Clemson, North Carolina will run the table in the Coastal Division.
2. Clemson will upset a South Carolina team that's looking ahead to the SEC Championship game.
3. Yes, Duke will qualify for a bowl game.
Best Remaining Conference Game
Oct. 20 - Florida State at Miami