2010 Sugar Bowl - Florida vs. Cincinnati
Sugar Bowl Stream-of-Consciousness Notes
- I'm having a good day. A happy day. All four games so
far in 2010 have been fantastic and I'm in a great
mood. I'm just not ready for four hours of Tim Tebow
suck up garbage.
- Brian Billick might be an insufferable bag of
pompous gas, but he's a whale of an analyst.
- Was the Florida loss to Alabama really
"heartbreaking," as Thom Brennaman put it?
- Urban Meyer runs out on the field without having a
grabber. That's a positive sign.
- Meyer just retired again.
- Oh dear lord. The Bull(bleep) Meter is off the
charts. First, Meyer says that Florida is happy to
be here, when everyone knows that the team has no
interest in being in New Orleans, and then he come
up with this. "Tim (Tebow) is great for every young
person in the world." I have two young daughters.
Their lives, unlike Thom Brennaman's, are not better
by one lick because of Tebow's existence (unless
he's wearing a Disney princess dress).
- Meyer just unretired again.
Cincinnati on its own 28
- Cincinnati comes out with a few easy
pitches and catches for a first down. Florida is
edgy. Really edgy. Brandon Hicks gets tagged with a
personal foul penalty.
- Apparently, according to Billick, Florida has athletes.
- Oh no ... this is going to be a long, bad game.
Four plays, three penalties. Two on Cincinnati, and
now it's third and long
- Billick "Florida has athletes" reference number
Florida on its own 16
- It's nails on a chalkboard to me at
this point. Just call him Tebow. Not TimTebow.
- Uh oh ... Cincinnati doesn't have it. Florida is
going to go through the motions and do whatever it
wants to offensively.
- Just as I write that, the Bearcat defensive front
mans up and stops a inside running play .
- And just as I write that, Tebow has a sandwich
behind his line and makes an easy throw for the
- Uh oh ... Florida is trying.
- Billick "Florida has athletes" reference number three.
- Cincinnati is going to have to sell out and beat
Tebow up. He gets as long as he wants to behind his
excellent line ...
- But he gets way too comfortable and gets sacked.
- Billick: "This is not TimTebow's game." He's
referring to throwing to a covered receiver on a
third read. Billick won't say it during the
broadcast, and he can't, but in his own way he just said that TimTebow can't play in the NFL.
- Cincinnati got screwed. A whistle went off and the
Bearcats stopped while Tebow rumbled down to the
- Shot of Meyer on the sideline. He didn't retire
- Yeeeesh ... Jeffrey Demps' arm just went a
direction it's not supposed to.
- TimTebow to Aaron Hernandez for a touchdown.
- Isn't Cincinnati supposed to be the No. 3 team in
- That was AWESOME. Walter Stewart jumped through a
lazy gap on the Florida line and blocked the extra
- For some reason, I don't think that's going to
Florida 6 ... Cincinnati 0
Cincinnati on its own 45
- Please, my Fox brothers, please
stop showing shots of Demps' arm going the wrong
- The short-range passing game has worked so far,
but the penalties were the killers on the first
- I have a man-crush on Joe Haden, the best
defensive back in America with no apologies to Eric
Berry. Cincinnati ran a beautiful trick play that
would've worked on about 115 other teams, but Haden
didn't fall for it.
- UC interim head coach Jeff Quinn just yelled at RB
Isaiah Pead on the sidelines. If you're a Bearcat
player getting honked at, just tell Quinn to save it
for Buffalo and the MAC. The big boys are playing
- Ugh. Nothing is there, Pike tries to run for a
first down, gets stuffed, and Meyer decides to
Florida on its own 19
- And I'm wondering if Tebow Cam is in
any way related to my latest physical.
- Billick "Florida has athletes" reference number four.
- 44-3. That's the final score if Florida quits
trying right now.
- Seriously, how pervy do you have to be to be
locked in on Tebow Cam?
- Alright, alright ... Cincinnati is using its
quickness to generate a little bit of inside
- Billick "Florida has athletes" reference number five.
- Beavis-like laugh. Billick: "This is as big and as
physical a unit as I've seen."
- After a penalty, Florida kicks a field goal.
America looks to see what else is on.
Florida 9 ... Cincinnati 0
Cincinnati on its own 23
- Oh heavens. Cincinnati isn't even
- Florida knows Cincinnati doesn't have a chance,
Cincinnati knows that it doesn't have a chance, and
Florida knows that Cincinnati knows that Florida
knows that Cincinnati doesn't have a chance.
- And there's the first quarter that we'll never
First Quarter Score: Florida 9 ...
Florida on its own 35
- Jake Rogers hits a bomb of a punt to
get the Bearcats out of a jam.
- The inside running will work as long as Florida
wants to be sort of dull. The Gators can probably
win this game without throwing a ball.
- TimTebow is 12-for-12. He's having few problems.
- Billick, go ahead and break down Tebow as an NFL
prospect. Go ahead and use this to criticize the
elongated throwing motion, the inability to throw
under pressure, and the questionable deep arm.
- Third and 1 ... you know exactly what's coming ...
- WOW. And so does Cincinnati. The defensive line
and the linebackers stuff TimTebow.
- And there's a shot of Meyer on the sidelines
thinking about sitting on a beach.
- Florida goes for it on fourth and one on the 35.
Guess who ran it for a first down.
- Billick "Florida has athletes" reference number seven.
- Cincinnati is popping and the effort is there, but
Florida is putting on a clinic.
- Alright, enough being a Negative Nelly. (Yes, I
used Negative Nelly. I'm punchy and this game
sucks.) If Cincinnati can hold the Gatos to a field
goal then it's only 12-0 with a chance to get back
into the game with one decent drive or one big play
- Touchdown. Deonte Thompson on a brilliant catch on
a very, very nice throw from Tebow. He put it in a
perfect spot because he has no fear of getting
touched by the non-existent Bearcat pass rush.
Florida 16 ... Cincinnati 0
Cincinnati on its own 25
- Billick "Florida has athletes" reference number eight.
- Tony Pike has to get the ball out of his hands
much, much quicker. Florida is way too good (Fiu
"Florida has athletes" reference number one) in the
secondary. Haden is erasing Mardy Gilyard, while the
Gators are popping the Bearcat receivers.
- Pike is throwing well, but nothing is happening.
Florida on its own 34
- Beyond being overmatched (yes,
Cincinnati is the No. 3 team in the country), the
Bearcats are playing dumb. That was a dumb
horsecollar tackle by Andre Revels.
- Billick "Florida has athletes" reference number nine.
- Tebow is razor sharp and Hernandez is making
himself a ton of money. These two are playing catch.
- Emmanuel Moody touchdown run. And no, Brian Kelly
wouldn't have made a difference.
Florida 23 ... Cincinnati 0
Cincinnati on its own 29
- In the "Ya Think?" department.
Billick: "This is an uphill battle for Cincinnati
- Florida doesn't seem to like Gilyard. Every time
he's getting the ball he's being swarmed on and
- Finally, Cincinnat is moving the ball a bit.
However, there's no rhythm and no tempo to the
- Ohhhhhhhh. Major Wright just blew up his teammate,
Janorris Jenkins with a kill shot.
- Cincinnati is starting to get was too chippy and
is starting to jaw it up a bit.
- Billick: "This is an uphill climb." Again.
- I'm dogging Billick (playfully ... really), but I
really do think he can be a strong analyst. His
strength is pointing out the X and O side of things
and explaining it well. He did a great job of
explaining how a little screen pass didn't work,
how and why.
- This is going to be a penalty fest. These two
teams are pushing after the whistle way too much and
players are getting hurt left and right.
- Cincinnati really and truly is in a position to
score! Happy New Year everyone!
- Three straight misfires forces the Bearcats to
kick a field goal from 47 yards out ... good! It's
good! It's good! Whoopee!!!
Florida 23 ... Cincinnati 3
Florida on its own 20
- Meyer has a look on his face like
he'd rather be anywhere else in the world than
pacing the sidelines.
- Oh nice throw. Tebow fakes the inside hand off,
Riley Cooper blows past the cheating corner, there's
no help from the safety, and it's an 80-yard
- Billick "Florida has athletes" reference number nine.
Florida 30 ... Cincinnati 3
Cincinnati on its own 23
- The Bearcats aren't going to run the
ball the rest of the game.
- Don't you try Zach Collaros at this point? Pike
isn't the problem, but you have to try something.
- Seriously, can we match up 2007 Hawaii with 2009
Cincinnati and see if we can have a fun, competitive
- Billick "Florida has athletes" reference number ten.
- Florida is the No. 2 team in America. If this team
showed up against Alabama, it might be a whole
Florida on the Cincinnati 45
- Tebow has 307 yards in the first
- The Gators keep on firing to put the pressure on
to really and truly end the fun, but Tebow is off
just enough to force a field goal attempt ...
- No good. Woo-hoo! A break for Cincinnati.
- Oh come on. I'm trying not to be fair, but
Brennaman and Billick are having a disastrous game.
Don't make apologies for Brian Kelly. Don't make
excuses for him. He left. He chose to leave.
- Ugh ... a promo for the Cotton Bowl and Daryl
Johnston called Ole Miss, "Old Miss" three times.
First Half Score: Florida 30 ... Cincinnati
I'll COME BACK TO DO MORE IF ANYTHING OF INTEREST
HAPPENS IN THE SECOND HALF. FLORIDA HAS ATHLETES,
CINCINNATI DOESN'T HAVE A PRAYER, THAT'S IT. I'LL BE
BACK FOR THE FIESTA.