2010 BCS Champ. SOC Notes - 4th Quarter
A quarter-by-quarter, play-by-play look at the 4th Quarter of the 2010 BCS Championship - Texas vs. Alabama
BCS Championship Stream-of-Consciousness Notes - 1st
BCS Championship Stream-of-Consciousness Notes - 2nd
BCS Championship Stream-of-Consciousness Notes - 3rd
- Interesting ... Ingram can't seem to
loosen up. Richardson runs for a first down, anyway.
- Uh, Julio Jones, aren't you supposed to be an NFL
receiver? Shouldn't there be one deep ball thrown
your way with the way Texas is selling out to stop
- McElroy is having a tough game. He can't find
anything to work with Longhorns in his face all game
- Alabama is struggling, but it's slowwwwwwly
chipping away at the clock.
- 13:20 left.
- That is complete and utter crap. How did Kareem
Jackson get away with two pass interference calls on
the previous drive and Chykie Brown gets hit with
THAT on a deep ball to Marquis Maze? There was
bumping on both sides.
- Penalties are penalties, but Texas hasn't received
one break so far ...
- And that includes a hands to the face call when
the Tide should've been hit by a hold.
- I'm never one to blame the officials in a game
like this for being one-sided, but the Texas coaches
are going to look at the film of this game and go
- 12 minutes to play.
- 3rd and five on the Texas 35. Run it and make this
two down territory.
- McElroy and Jones can't connect, and here comes
- Misses the 52-yarder.
Texas on its own 35
- McCoy looks really, really pissed.
- Texas is sort of hanging around and now the
receivers are helping the cause. Shipley and Newton
each come up with nice catches at the right time to
make it 3rd and short.
- Again, Texas can't catch any real breaks. Newton
made the catch, got up to the line, got the first
down, but the play was whistled dead as it went to
the booth for a review.
- Texas gets its first break as McClain goes
- At midfield with under ten to play, now it's up to
Gilbert to find a little rhythm. He hasn't been
- When he gets time, though, he has a nice, accurate
- 3rd and 4 and another Texas penalty. This is Texas
causing its own bad breaks on a false start.
- Again, when he gets time, he throws darts. Gilbert
hung well in the pocket, let Shipley work open, and
connected for the first down.
- Bama sees this and brings the blitz from the
outside to hurry him. He misfires.
- Gets time, gets Shipley.
- Uh, kids, there's seven minutes to play and Texas
is on the Bama 25 and Gilbert looks like a totally
- Wow. Gilbert hangs in the pocket, sees the single
coverage on Shipley, and connects on a strong throw
for a score. Now comes the two point conversion.
- Holy CRAP. That was an NFL strike from Gilbert to
Dan Buckner to make this a three point game.
- Again, Mack Brown will have to answer for that
field goal in the first quarter.
- Can the Tide turn it back on all of a sudden? To
be fair, there was nothing, NOTHING to suggest that
Gilbert would suddenly settle down and become a
real, live player.
- Uhhhhh, this thing is going to overtime, isn't it?
- Watch, now Texas blows it and gives Arenas a shot.
Alabama 24 ... Texas 21
Alabama on its own 34
- I get it, but I don't like it. With
six minutes to play and with a real shot to pull
this off, why not try to blast it through the end
- Ingram is back in.
- Oh is that smart. Ingram cranks out a fantastic
first down run and manages to get down in bounds.
- Alabama has brought in Mariano Rivera saying Mr.
Heisman, close this.
- 4:30 to play.
- Texas has to sell out to stop Ingram and take its
chances on the short pass ...
- ... and it stops Ingram and forces a 3rd and long.
- McElroy gets all the time he needs ...
- ... and he can't connect with Darius Hanks.
- McElroy is confused.
- 3:21 to play.
- Fine, I'll be the one to say it. 1) Biggest gag
job ever if Bama blows this? 2) Now, it's really
disappointing that we didn't get to see what Texas
could've done with McCoy.
Texas on its own 7
- Hey, freshman, go 93 yards against
one of the best defenses in America to win the
- Texas gets the call with Mark Barron getting
nabbed for a holding call in the Tide secondary.
- The UT O line is playing its guts out.
- Until that. Eryk Anders blindsides Gilbert, forces
a fumble, Alabama wins the national title.
Alabama on the Texas 3
- Ingram, go get your title moment.
- Stuffed on the two.
- The substitution time out Texas took before the
last Bama punt was a killer now.
- Nope. The second wave of Texas defenders hold
Ingram to the one.
- With the entire state of Texas focused on stopping
Ingram, McElroy could walk in on a quarterback
- Ingram on the second, third, and fourth effort
wins Alabama the national title.
- "We hope that Mark, Senior, was able to watch." He
would've been able to if he wasn't a criminal.
- Texas S Aaron Williams has his motivation to hit
the weights even harder next year.
Alabama 31 ... Texas 21
Texas on its own 20
- Gilbert throws a perfect strike to
Arenas to put an official end to all the fun.
Alabama on the Texas 28
- Ingram is out and Bama is still
- C'mon, Chuckles, take a knee.
- 1:41 to play and on the five. Bama is looking to
add more points.
- Saban gets 400K for winning tonight. Meanwhile,
his players probably couldn't afford Taco Bwll.
- Greatest Gatorade moment ever. The Tide hits Saban
in the head with the Gatorade bucket and he looks
really, really, really mad. Notice how none of the
players are near him offering a hug of
congratulations. I got ripped on by LSU fans for
suggesting that the miserably grouchy Saban makes
college football joyless. Saban makes college
- Would they have dumped Gatorade on Bear Bryant?
- The extra point doinks off the upright.
Alabama 37 ... Texas 21
Texas on its own 20
- A ricocheted interception that
wasn't Gilbert's fault. Saban will probably throw
Alabama on its own 31
- Yeah, but ...
FINAL SCORE: Alabama 37 ... Texas 21