Fiu, Cirminiello, Mitchell on TV - Campus Insiders |
Buy College Football Tickets
2010 BCS Champ. SOC Notes - 2nd Quarter
Alabama DT Marcell Dareus
A quarter-by-quarter, play-by-play look at the 2nd Quarter of the 2010 BCS Championship - Texas vs. Alabama
BCS Championship Stream-of-Consciousness Notes - 1st
BCS Championship Stream-of-Consciousness Notes - 3rd
BCS Championship Stream-of-Consciousness Notes - 4th
- Terrence Cody is in the game to pound
away for Ingram, but the Heisman winner gets
- But not on this play. Ingram walks into the end
zone as Cody does a high step because there's no one
- No ... DON'T. Don't make the Mark Ingram dad story
out to be a nice touchy-feeling thing. He's a
convicted criminal who screwed up, and screwed up
again by his own choice.
Alabama 7 ... Texas 6
Texas on its own 25
- It seems like the air has completely
gone out of the Texas balloon. This game is over and
this is going to be ugly unless Gilbert can show he
can actually play college football.
- No, no, no, no, no, no, no. Texas, you can't win
this by running Tre Newton.
- Alabama doesn't think that Gilbert can play.
- People, pack it up. It's over until Gilbert shows
- Chop block and now it's 2nd and 23. Take a knee,
burn some clock, and get to the locker room as fast
- Yes, there's 13 minutes to play.
- A little end around play to get creative, but the
bag of tricks is about empty.
- And now Gilbert is hurt. Can Ryan Perrilloux get
- I love Brent, but ... "That would be the second
quarterback knocked out." To go back to 3rd grade,
- Arenas gets a shot but he can't do
anything with it.
Alabama on its own 40
- The Alabama running game isn't
having any problems now that the O line has taken
- Texas is playing like a totally deflated team that
- ... caught a nice break thanks to the Alabama
coaching staff. Instead of running the ball down the
Longhorns' throat, they choose to throw the ball and
McElroy gets erased again.
- It's miraculous that McElroy is still in this game
after the beating he took.
- I'm just guessing here, but here's what appears to
be happening and here's how these things work. McCoy
is screwed up but wants to play, the trainers and
doctors are saying no, and McCoy is saying yes, I'm
going in. McCoy's dad just got brought into the
Texas on its own 15
- Alright ... Gilbert throws over the
middle and misses a covered Shipley, but Texas is
going to lose unless it tries to get him moving.
- Texas, figure out the Bama blitzes, and now. Guess
and see if Gilbert can find the hot read and the
open man in the vacant spot.
- Gilbert gets his second pass knocked down.
- He's locking on to his targets ... and hard.
- If McCoy comes running back on the field, that
would trump the overrated Willis Reed moment with a
Alabama on the Texas 49
- If you're Mack Brown, you take
Gilbert aside for a few moments, and you tell him
this, word for word: "Don't worry about losing this
game. Don't worry about mistakes. Don't worry about
anything but going out there and having more fun
than you've ever had in your entire life. This is
what you came to Texas for, and if we win we win,
and if we lose we lose. Now go out there, let it all
out, and do whatever you need to do.
- And what he might need to do is play defensive
tackle. The left side of the Bama line obliterated
the Texas defensive tackles opening up a ten-mile
wide hole for Trent Richardson, who tears off a
49-yard run for a score.
- Drew Davis is literally sitting on the UT
lineman's head after Mike Johnson blew open the
- Brent and Kirk, get the filler material ready.
- Phone call to Boise State. Yeah, can you get here
- If you're Alabama, go onside kick. Why not? Texas
can't get a first down.
Alabama 14 ... Texas 6
Texas on its own 41
- Nice, nice, nice throw. Malcolm Williams goes up
and Gilbert put the ball on his hands, but it didn't
happen. If Tim Tebow had a throwing motion like
Gilbert, he'd be a top ten pick.
- And then Gilbert gets picked off. Arenas jumps the
short route and comes up with the pick. That's okay
... keep gunning it.
Alabama on its own 23
- Ingram is cranking out yards in huge
chunks. He's getting to the second level WAY too
- The Texas defensive tackles are getting buried.
Give credit to the Bama line, but Texas could not be
playing more deflated.
- Six minutes to go in the first half. Texas, find
something now and you can possibly get out of this
only down eight.
- But Texas isn't tackling, the Bama O has a spring
in its step, and everything is rolling the Tide's
- For the first time all game long, McElroy gets all
the time in the world. The UT defensive front
appears to be cashed after getting beaten on.
- 3rd and 5 ... run it Bama, run it.
- NICE play by Earl Thomas to read the play and get
to Richardson. Big third down stop to make it 4th
- Bama, on the 39, go for it. Again, why not? Texas
can't get a first down, so why not try to end this
- P.J. Fitzgerald rolls it up to the two.
Texas on its own 2
- How butt-dumb does that decision to
go for the field goal early on look now?
- From Lisa Salters, McCoy won't be back this half.
Uh, duh. There are three minutes to play. He'll be
"reevaluated," which means they need time to see if
he can throw the ball after "the shot" kicks in.
- Texas now just isn't getting any luck. Shipley was
open, Gilbert hung it up, and it simply didn't
- Now the little poochy kicking thing isn't working.
Air it out and take your chances with Arenas.
Alabama on the Texas 29
- People, we're just going through the
motions now. Texas can't get a first down, much less
- If Bama tries a pass play at any point on this
drive, I'm going to break something tasteful.
- 1:29 to play and Texas players walking to the
sidelines are looking like they were run over by a
- Gilbert is sitting on the bench looking like he's
waiting for his turn to go back out on the field to
- 3rd and 7 and McElroy runs a bootleg to make it
4th and short on the ten with :33 to play. Of course
you go for it ...
- But Bama lost about ten seconds. Neither coaching
staff is having a stellar game.
- On the flip side, 17-6 makes it insurmountable.
Texas could luck its way into a touchdown, but at
this point, it's not scoring twice.
- 26 yarder is automatic for Tiffin.
- Brent appears bored. This just sucks all the way
around. No one really wins because now Bama will
have to answer the "yeah, but" questions for the
rest of their lives.
- The most unhappy people in the world right now are
Brent and Kirk. You can hear Herbstreit in his head
yelling, "someone try something! Someone scream or
something! Please! Someone come up with an answer!"
- Upon further review, McCoy looks like he might
have popped a collarbone.
Alabama 17 ... Texas 6
Texas on its own 25
- Texas, uh, why are you calling a
timeout with 15 seconds to go? What are you going to
do, complete a pass?
- Mack Brown needs to be docked a million a year off
that five-mildo salary if that really is an
interception return for a touchdown. Gilbert tried a
shovel pass on the Texas 35 with 15 seconds to play
and wasn't going to go anywhere.
- Yup. It bounced around, Marcell Dareus takes the
ball away, and he takes it into the end zone for a
- Oh relax, hair boy. Nick Saban runs up the
sideline yelling, "What the (bleep) are you doing?"
after Dareus threw the ball in excitement after the
touchdown. Ooooooh, an unsportsmanlike penalty with
three seconds to play.
Alabama 24 ... Texas 6
- Brown: "That's about as safe a play as there is."
- Brown: "It's just a shoulder." Just? Obviously
Second Quarter Score: Alabama 24 .... Texas